Hypertension is a long-term medical condition in which the blood pressure in the arteries is continually increased. High blood pressure typically does not cause symptoms. Normal Blood pressure is 120/80mmHg.
Blood Pressure Categories
- Prehypertension: 120-129/<80mmHg
- Hypertension stage 1: 130-139/80-89mmHg
- Hypertension stage 2: >140/>90mmHg
- Hypertension stage 3: >180/>120mmHg
Hypertension best practices
- Most people with hypertension have no symptoms. Screen all adults for hypertension.
- Measure blood pressure the right way, right time.
- Use a good quality blood pressure monitor.
- Treat all patients whose blood pressure readings are greater than 140/90mmHg.
- Start treatment with medications on the same day if blood pressure is above 160/100mmHg.
- Recommend lifestyle management in addition to medicines for hypertension.
- Use once a day medication to improve treatment adherence.
- Explain the benefits of blood pressure control and risk of not taking medications.
- Follow patients up to ensure blood pressure control.
Image source: kinetikwellbeing.com