Unfortunately, this is the fifth season of Smog in Lahore. From the past five years, Pakistan especially Lahore has been a victim of this deadly smog. The government has still not issued any alert on this but this needs to be addressed seriously.
Why is the Smog Deadly?
Smog (smoke + fog) is a thick dense layer of polluted air which has settled in Lahore. It is dreadful because it contains all the pollutants as microparticles which can easily penetrate into the lungs and cause chronic diseases. In children, it can pass from the lungs into the bloodstreams and can affect the brain as well. Last year, around sixty thousand people in Lahore died due to the lung diseases that were spread through this smog.
Better Safe than Never
Understanding the gravity of the situation, a few precautions must be taken as a part of your daily routine to avoid lung disorders:
- Avoid unnecessary outdoor activities; stay indoors as much as you can.
- Children and adults who have to go to schools, colleges or work so must wear a mask.
- The children of a younger age should be kept inside especially in the morning when the smog is at its peak.
- Buy an air purifier and use it in the room you use the most.
- Try not to inhale the air aggressively.
- Gargle with lukewarm water when you return to home.
Image source: wautom.com