The word mental is usually associated with the brain but in a true sense, it relates to one's psychological and emotional well-being. This is somewhat related more to psychology rather than neurology. In our everyday life, we come across to some terms like anxiety, depression, nervousness, and agitation but the point to ponder here is that do we really understand these notions.
Nervousness is not a disease, it is a condition. A person can feel nervous about anything that bothers him or her, it can be a job interview, a school result or even one's graduation moments. Human beings usually tend to get nervous when they are concerned about a thing. It lasts until the situation gets normal.
Agitation, like nervousness, is a state. But in this case, a person might feel super excited or tensed. It is an unpleasant state which causes irritability and confusion and it can last for a few minutes to months.
Anxiety is a start of disease if remains untreated. Anxiety is characterized by the feeling of fear and apprehension along with the physical symptoms like increased heart rate, sweating or muscular pain (stress)
Depression is a serious clinical disorder which is characterized by a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest in everyday activities. Depression is a mood disorder is not taken seriously in our society. Unfortunately, this disorder is taken so casually that a lot of people of every age are being a victim of it.
Symptoms of Depression
• Feelings of sadness, tearfulness, emptiness or hopelessness
• Angry outbursts, irritability or frustration, even over small matters
• Loss of interest or pleasure in most or all normal activities
• Sleep disturbances, including insomnia or sleeping too much
• Tiredness and lack of energy
• Reduced appetite and weight loss or weight gain
• Anxiety, agitation or restlessness
• Slowed thinking, speaking or body movements
• Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
• Trouble concentrating, reduced decision making
• suicidal thoughts or suicide attempts
See your doctor
If a person has the following symptoms, one should consult a psychotherapist or a psychologist. The best part of depression is that it can be treated through counseling before jumping to heavy medications, therefore, see your doctor tell him everything and trust him. The signs of depression if ignored may come out to be very dangerous.
Image Source: LUCKYSTEP48 / ALAMY STOCK VECTOR